WRC saves lives by working to end gender-based violence. We help victims escape and rebuild their lives after abuse, achieve economic independence; and stop the cycle of violence in our community through victim empowerment and education of the next generation.
Safe Families Initiative
BECOME A MEMBER IN 2020! Help us save the lives of victims ready to escape abuse!
- Did you know over half of the murders of American women are related to intimate partner violence.
- 93% of those were committed by a current or former partner.
- Since inception, we have served over 247,000 families ready to escape abuse. We consider that over 247,000 lives saved.
This initiative is significant because the collective power of our distinguished members provides the core funding support that allows WRC to be an efficient organization, responding to the most important needs of the families in our community as they come to us for help.
Last year we served 4,066 families
Our clients look to us for help during the most painful, dangerous and difficult time in their life.
Client Quote “Six years ago, after one year of abuse, I fled from an abusive partner, my then husband and father of my two children. I thought about leaving him many times, but I couldn’t. I was broken, I was sad, I had lost my strength and self-esteem. I was afraid, and I was very concerned for my children”
Our goal this year is to raise $500,000 to ensure we can provide the safety, support and prevention our community needs.We are reaching out to raise as much money as we can by April 6th, 2020 to achieve our goal!
- Since 1974 WRC has served
- Over 247,841 families
- Provided over 704,451 nights of safe shelter and
- Answered more than 60,251 crisis hotline line calls
You can choose which of the wonderful and much needed services WRC provides to support.
This includes investing in our “Alternative to Abuse” Shelter and Two Year Transitional Housing program
- Last year 20,341 nights of safe shelter were provided to families escaping abuse
Client Quote “This is when I decided to take a leap of faith and seek help from the WRC. They accepted us into the shelter at 11pm on a Friday night. Once we got accepted into the transitional house I felt such a relief. I have gained self-respect, learned how to set healthy boundaries, and love myself for who I am. I could not have done this without the support of WRC. I am so grateful they took my children and I in and gave us a chance.”
Crisis Intervention, Emergency Food and Clothing, Safety Planning, Advocacy, Counseling, Children’s Services, Legal Services and Sexual Assault Response Team.
Client Quote “My counselors and case managers have been a big support system for me. They helped me figure out the steps I needed to take in order to achieve my goals so I can better myself and live violence free.”
Through education, empowerment and community awareness WRC believes we will end the cycle of violence.
STAT: We know that domestic and sexual violence cuts across race, gender, age, and socioeconomic lines and shatters families at every corner of our society, affecting entire communities. In order to prevent domestic violence, we must focus on education and address the issue as a public health crisis. WRC reaches over 450 high school teens through our prevention education program initiatives annually.
Each program is important because your investment in WRC provides the core funding that allows WRC to respond to the most important needs of the families in our community as they come to us for help.
Client Quote “They have provided me with so many resources, it’s unbelievable. From helping me with gas, to helping us get clothes, to finding care for my son so I can work more, to helping me gain scholarships to stay in school. They have been amazing every step of the way.”
Together we can “Revive Courage and Empower Lives”
“Thank you for being so amazing and wanting to help families like mine. It is because of your support I am ready to declare, I am no longer a victim; I am victorious.”
You can make a one time donation or become and monthly donor. Specifically, this investment could go towards:
- $50 provides bus passes for shelter clients as they begin to rebuild their lives.
- $100 stocks our emergency food pantry for 5 families.
- $250 provides essentials for a new born baby entering our shelter.
- $500 supports our 24 Hour crisis hotline for a month.
- $1000 provides 5 children with counseling for a month as they heal from trauma.
- $10,000 provides a family a safe home to raise their children in our transitional housing facility for a year.
Safe Families Initiative Members will receive:
- Opportunities to volunteer year round at WRC.
- Client stories and fund updates monthly by our Development Director, Lauren-Jane Stephenson.
- Recognition and thanks at our annual event.
- Highlighted on WRC’s social media platforms.
- Invitation to all WRC events.
- Knowing you have helped a family live a life free from violence!