DOMESTIC VIOLENCE OVERVIEW
Domestic violence is a pattern of coercive, controlling behavior that can include physical abuse, emotional or psychological abuse, sexual abuse, or financial abuse (using money and financial tools to exert control). Domestic violence does not discriminate based on race, age, or sexual orientation. It can occur between married couples, those living together or who are dating. It is found in homes of all socioeconomic backgrounds and education levels.
RED FLAG BEHAVIORS
The following are “red flag” behaviors that someone may be abusive. If you or a friend are experiencing these behaviors from a partner WRC has advocates that can help. Please remember abuse is not your fault.
- They move too quickly into the relationship.
- Shows extreme jealousy of your friends and or family; insists you stop spending time away from them.
- Insists that you stop participating in hobbies or activities, quit school, or your job.
- Accuses you of cheating and demands passwords to phone and social media accounts.
- Wants to know where you are all of the time and frequently calls, emails, and texts you all the time.
- Controls your money or refuses to give you money for necessary expenses. Runs up your credit card debt.
- Calls you names, belittles you, and says you never do anything right.
1 IN 4 WOMEN
Aged 18 and older in the United States have been the victim of severe physical violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime
1 IN 7 MEN
Aged 18 and older in the United States have been the victim of severe physical violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime.
ALTERNATIVES TO ABUSE PROGRAM
Alternatives to Abuse is a confidential location that provides safety and security to survivors who are in need of housing as a result of domestic violence. The staff is available 24 hours a day on location have been trained in crisis intervention. The focus of the program is moving the survivor forward into a more permanent, non-violent living situation during the 28 day stay. WRC provides the family with meals, hygiene supplies, bedding, and clothing so that all their basic needs are being met allowing for them to work on healing.